Monosemikodachrome text

Monosemikodachrome text

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Giant slide cultures from Dan Moeur!




Dan's intentional piece for MSK came with a gush of other entries.  Dan's is the interesting tubular entry.  Dan asked if it had arrived a few days ago and I had to admit that it was in the blogging queue.  If Vizma had a camera into everyone's studios she would see a physical queue stretching across surfaces in mine. 

I'm usually prompt in my blogging but LIFE got in the way again and I am behind.  I scanned Dan's print as soon as I got it out of the tube - the tube was a made tube and I could see it was also a print…
I tried to scan it but it was too big (more than A3 size.  Also it was curling, so I put it under some stuff and waited.
I'm sure you will agree that it has been worth the wait.  Dan has enlarged a microscopic world, of the mind… the mark making is beautiful.  I know Dan uses both physical prints and digital practices when he works.  I wonder if he began with a gelatin plate? Is it a series of mono prints?  Is he working back into ghosts?  The whole effect feels like a giant strip of film which is perfect. And then I remember learning to make a malaria slide and wonder whether the microscope image would look a little like this?


When I took the tube to pieces I found this print which I suspect is another piece for MSK.  Many thanks Dan.  Tell us how you did it all, really!

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca--you will have a hard time getting the audience into the concert hall with all these beauties to be savored! Wish I could be there for the performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be great! Thanks for all your enthusiasm too, Carmela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, your reading of my piece as a series of cultures on slides is about how I saw them myself. In fact, the far right image (The K one) is called "Early Signs of Life. All are based on a monotype made on a plexiglas plate with water-soluble printing inks and wax crayons. I also made a ghost print. Both prints were scanned and sandwiched slightly off-register to provide some sense of depth. The middle image (Semi) is very close to what the original monotype looks like.

    The "wrapper" tube is an older transfer print called "Magnolia." It is a digital collage printed with pigment inks on a large sheet of transfer film that was then rubbed into a sheet of heavy printmaking paper (BFK Rives Heavy) moistened with alcohol gelatin. It is a monoprint (unique print)

    ReplyDelete